How to Use a Nebulizer
Nebulizers use compressed air or oxygen to turn liquid medication into small droplets, creating a mist that can be inhaled by a patient through a special mouthpiece. Patients can also use a face mask, which is a good choice for young kids and the elderly. However, that might deliver less medication to your lungs, because you will also inhale it through your nose. The mist in these devices is easy to inhale, it does not require taking very deep breaths.
Most nebulizers sold at Acu Health Store are lightweight and easy to move from room to room. In addition, you can purchase a bag to carry your device with you. Nebulizer bags can be found in “Respiratory Accessories”.
Remember to clean your nebulizer to keep it in a good working condition. Always read the instructions thoroughly before using the device.
Here are some basic steps that will help you set up and use a nebulizer:
- Wash your hands with soap before the procedure.
- Connect the hose of your nebulizer to the air compressor.
- Fill the medicine cup with liquid medication according to the prescription.
- Attach the mouthpiece to the medicine cup. If you use a mask, then connect it instead.
- Now you can turn on the device. Take slow, deep breaths until you use up all the medication. Remember to keep your lips firm on the mouthpiece so you don’t waste any medication.
- hen you’re done, turn off the machine.
- Wash the mouthpiece and the medicine cup with warm water and air dry until next procedure. If you were using a disposable mouthpiece, you can simply throw it away.